segunda-feira, 19 de outubro de 2009

Invisible people

"Jin Young Yu (JYY): My works are about the “invisible people.” I wanted to talk about the stories of the people who said, “I definitely don’t know them, but they knew me so well. They said they worked with me for over a year. To me, that person was a transparent existence that neither did or didn’t exist.”

It was too simple to define them as “the alienated people” or “the depressed people”. Instead, I thought that I, or we, could easily be one of them. My works are about people who, instead of getting along with others, choose to keep a distance from them, and be invisible or be left alone unconcerned. Instead of trying to fit into the world, they climb into a space of their own and reject other people’s intrusions.

My works feign expressionless faces. They are holding their tears back and swallowing them, or they try to put on a cool face despite the traces of tears on their faces. Or simply, they seem to have something hiding behind the hurried pretense of their expressionless faces. Looks on their faces that don’t make people approach them with ease - a subtle look of suspicion and caution keeps others from easily approaching them."

Podem ler o resto da entrevista a esta extraordinária artista da Coreia aqui






























"My figures express the loneliness of people living today. The transparent body means a perfect shield that makes it possible to hide itself anywhere, while the crying face represents a warning: ‘Don’t come towards me!’ I intend to remind viewers of the loneliness of people in this modern society, where there is little of true communication." And as for an overall theme? "I want to get away from the plastic smiles and fake facial expressions".

Mais imagens e comentários aqui

13 comentários:

ntozei disse...

Wow! That's rly impressive! Amazing!!

jellyfish disse...

I haven't seen something as cool as this in a looong time!!!

ecila disse...

ntozei e jellyfish when you have some time check the rest of the sculptures, very cool indeed, beautiful!

jellyfish disse...

I really don't know why these pieces in particular and this artist (of everything I've seen lately) seem to speak to me so much. I have that feeling that, if I were an artist, this is the kind of work I would dream of doing.

I have taken the liberty to suggest this artist for Neocha EDGE (a site dedicated to showcasing leading-edge creative content and emerging youth culture in China) and their "In The Neighborhood" series, where they introduce artists from other Asian countries apart from China. The response was very positive: Next week they will post it!

ecila disse...

jellyfish I am very happy you did so, beautiful artists should be known :-)

It spoke to me too, but I guess it is incredibly special and unique, so no wonder it makes us feel like this.

ntozei disse...

ecila and jellyfish,

I have seen the other sculptures, and also read the interview. I thought it was incredible. And the part she talks about the college art education, the time it took to do the sculptures, the thing about being happy on the outside and "choose to keep a distance from other people"... Everything in there is so full of emotions and reality. I think maybe that's why it's so impressive. We know people like the sculptures and sometimes we fell just like them. Besides the fact it's something creative and well done. More and more people should know this, I totally agree.

By the way, I didn't know Neocha EDGE and I'm so glad I do now,thanks!

jellyfish disse...

I've found this quote from her on another site:

http://www.planet-mag.com/blog/2009/art/jennifer-pappas/yu-jing-young/#http://www.planet-mag.com/blog/2009/art/jennifer-pappas/yu-jing-young/

"My figures express the loneliness of people living today. The transparent body means a perfect shield that makes it possible to hide itself anywhere, while the crying face represents a warning: ‘Don’t come towards me!’ I intend to remind viewers of the loneliness of people in this modern society, where there is little of true communication." And as for an overall theme? "I want to get away from the plastic smiles and fake facial expressions," she says. Thus is the essence of Jin Young’s stoic army.

jellyfish disse...

ntozei, sorry, I forgot to answer:
I am glad you like Neocha EDGE! I am such a fan of young artists, no matter where they are from, no matter what their background or specialty is (visual arts, writing, music etc.), because they have a freshness and authenticity, as well as an enthusiasm, that no other consacrated artist (no matter how skilled) will ever have again. Even though some pieces might not be good, you can sense their spirit through their work and it is this that makes them so attractive: the spirit that in the beginning dreams knowing no boundaries. Charming!

What NeochaEDGE also does is to create a platform and networking tool for them, which is also very valuable.

ntozei disse...

jellyfish,

Nice quotation. The art really gives that impression, of protection and warning. About the Neocha EDGE, I liked what you said about the young artists: they aren't contaminated by the routine and world boundaries yet. "Good morning, eager young minds", said Nash in the movie A Beautiful Mind.

ecila disse...

jellyfish, please feel free to add the artist quote to the post, it's a very nice addition :-D

jellyfish and ntozei, totally agree that youth has particularities that are later lost for most people (I do know a few exceptions). I wonder how people don't realize that they get formatted and molded by society, the so-called responsibilities and routines. I have friends that were once open, caring for the world, poets. Nowadays I don't recognize them anymore.

Genuinity, freshness and authenticity (as you so well put it) and shining eyes and breaking waves and fighting for something and taking chances and following the heart, are indeed part of the "eager young minds". Very nice initiative from Neocha EDGE. Is there something like that for young European artists?!?

jellyfish disse...

ecila, i cannot edit your posts, because i'm a guest :) you can try adding it.

ecila disse...

ohhh jellyfish, I did not know that, maybe I can change the settings to give you more freedom. Will check it.

jellyfish disse...

no, don't worry about that! i have all the freedom i could ask for :)